NOKOMIS — A resident brought forth some concerns about dogs at large before the Nokomis City Council on Monday, July 10.
Emily Fox addressed the council about dogs running at large destroying and taking things from her property. Fox has video evidence of the dogs tearing up her property at 447 S. Spruce. Those videos have already been made available to Nokomis Police Department.
The council advised her to keep an inventory of items taken and/or destroyed. They will follow up with the Police Department and report back to her.
In addition, she was informed that should damages exceed a certain threshold, criminal charges may be levied against the dog’s owner.
City website progressing along
The city website is progressing, although not specified as to how quickly or slowly it is progressing. Summer help is helping digitize the city ordinances to place them on the website for constituent viewing.
No other information was given as to when the website would be live.
Nokomis Streets Department projects
The Streets Department would report that they’ve been working on cleaning up brush. Additional projects include repairing sidewalks and cleaning up from the Nokomis Homecoming this past weekend.
The contractors from the water main project are also working to make things whole by repairing sidewalks. Also receiving repairs are portions of roadways that were damaged during the project.
Revenues and approval of bills
City revenues within the past month total in the amount of $52,043.44. A breakdown of these revenues include:
- Illinois Department of Revenue, Personal Property Tax: $8,217.95
- Illinois Department of Transportation, MFT Allotment – June: $4,279.87
- Illinois Department of Transportation, MFT Renewal: $3,755.00
- Other revenue: $35,790.62
The council would approve bills in the amount of $505,593.25.
Other Nokomis council business
Other business before the Nokomis City Council include:
- Approval of establishing a savings account at First National Bank of Nokomis. This account is for all cash seized during a recent drug bust by the Police Department. However, it was not specified how much money was seized from the bust.
- Discussion of the replacement of existing water service at Nokomis Rehabilitation & Health Care Center.
- Discussion and tabling of a renewal of services with CTI.
- Approval of a building permit for a fence at 446 S. Maple.
- After a lengthy executive session, the council voted to approve the hiring of Alexandra Pavolka as summer help.
The next City Council meeting will be Monday, July 24.
Jake Leonard, a broadcast media and journalism veteran, is the editor-in-chief of Heartland Newsfeed. Leonard is also GM and program director of Heartland Newsfeed Radio Network, wrestling editor and contributing writer for Ambush Sports, a contributing writer for My Sports Vote and Midwest Sports Network, and a former contributor to Bleacher Report and Overtime Heroics. He resides at home in Nokomis, Ill. with his dog Buster.