Kinley can attend Buccaneers training camp later this monthEarlier Tuesday, Kinley issued a statement saying Austin had informed him he would be allowed to attend training camp with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers later this month. “I am extremely appreciative of Secretary Austin’s decision and I am excited to represent our fine military in the National Football League,” Kinley said. “This past month has been very challenging and I am thankful for everyone who has supported me in any way.”
Statement thanks NFLPA, the NFL, and Sen. Marco RubioKinley also thanked the NFL Players Association, the NFL, and Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., among others, in his statement. Rubio previously wrote a letter to President Joe Biden urging him to help Kinley delay his commission with the Navy so he could pursue a professional football career. “I am confident that Cameron will represent the Navy well in the NFL, just as he did as a standout athlete and class president at the Naval Academy,” Biden said in a statement. “After his NFL career is over, he will continue to make us proud as an officer in the United States Navy.” The 22-year-old Kinley, who was a team captain at Navy and class president, signed with the Buccaneers as an undrafted free agent and participated in the team’s rookie minicamp. Kinley wasn’t provided an explanation on why Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas W. Harker declined to send Kinley’s deferment package to Austin. Kinley was told he couldn’t appeal the decision. Reporting by Connor Grott
United Press International is an international news agency whose newswires, photo, news film, and audio services provided news material to thousands of newspapers, magazines and radio and television stations for most of the 20th century.