(Heartland Newsfeed) — In the relentless cycle that is the 24-hour news cycle, it’s definitely too late for me to write a review for WWE’s recent PPV Elimination Chamber.
In a preview of the event, as published on Ambush Sports, I made some predictions for the show:
- Shayna Baszler in the women’s Elimination Chamber match
- Braun Strowman would retain the WWE Intercontinental Championship in a handicap match against Sami Zayn, Cesaro and Shinsuke Nakamura
- The New Day would win back the WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championship in the Tag Team Elimination Chamber match
- Street Profits would retain the WWE Raw Tag Team Championship
- AJ Styles would win over Aleister Black
- Daniel Bryan would win over Drew Gulak
Of the seven matches on the show, I opted not to make a prediction on the WWE U.S. Championship title match between Andrade Almas (c) and Humberto Carrillo, due to not having enough information on either wrestler to make an informed prediction.
So, with those predictions on the table, let’s quickly recap what happened — with a little help via the show recap from Wrestling Observer‘s Steve Khan:
- Daniel Bryan won via submission/referee stoppage as a result of applying the Yes Lock on Drew Gulak | CORRECT
- Andrade Almas retained the U.S. title using the rollup pinfall on Humberto Carrillo | NO PREDICTION
- The Miz and John Morrison retained the Smackdown Tag Team title | INCORRECT
- Even despite Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson at ringside, Aleister Black defeated AJ Styles | INCORRECT
- Street Profits retained the Raw Tag Team title | CORRECT
- Sami Zayn pinned Braun Strowman | INCORRECT
- Shayna Baszler won the women’s Elimination Chamber match | CORRECT
So, 3 for 6 on the predictions I made and I’m eating a bit of crow on the ones I got wrong. But then again, that’s all part of making predictions in sports. Even better, there was no money on the line.
Jake Leonard, a broadcast media and journalism veteran, is the editor-in-chief of Heartland Newsfeed. Leonard is also GM and program director of Heartland Newsfeed Radio Network, wrestling editor and contributing writer for Ambush Sports, a contributing writer for My Sports Vote and Midwest Sports Network, and a former contributor to Bleacher Report and Overtime Heroics. He resides at home in Nokomis, Ill. with his dog Buster.
Discussion about this post