TAYLORVILLE (Heartland Newsfeed) — The University Women of Christian County (UWCC) convened for their most recent meeting on Tuesday, Mar. 6 at Whit’s End with Dan Guillory, professor emeritus of history at Millikin University in Decatur, as their guest speaker.
Guillory’s presentation topic at the meeting was Abraham Lincoln and his life, loves and his demeanor during times of turmoil. Guillory has written nine books about Lincoln and the history of Illinois.
During the presentation, there were some interesting facts about Lincoln:
- Lincoln disliked the use of tobacco, as the product of his time wasn’t nearly as refined as it is today, as people chewed the leaves and stems, causing the user to frequently and Lincoln didn’t like the mess.
- Lincoln swore off alcohol because he never wanted to lose control, as being at his best was of high importance to him.
- Lincoln was not in favor of guns, an unusual stance for a president who would eventually preside over a civil war, as everyone had guns and hunted for food in order to sustain their families.
- Lincoln believed in God, but did not consider himself a Christian. He held no prejudice against Christians or those of the Jewish faith.
- Lincoln considered women’s rights to be important, which may be come forth as a result of some strong women influences in his life.
- Lincoln’s anti-slavery stance had roots from his childhood. Lincoln, who was strong and athletic, was also good with an ax. His father would often loan him to neighbors to help with work, but all his earnings would be given back to his father.
- Lincoln was incredibly intelligent and had a great love for the English language. He was an avid reader and preferred reading to manual labor. Such reading helped him become a great orator, with his speeches well-renowned.
UWCC is a community-based organization which awards two scholarships annually to college women residing in Christian County who have completed one year of college coursework, or 24 credit hours.
The deadline for the 2018 scholarship year for the 2018-2019 collegiate academic year is April 6, with application forms available at Taylorville Public Library, the Greater Taylorville Chamber of Commerce and the Eastern Region Educational Center of Lincoln Land Community College in Taylorville. More information can be attained by contacting the UWCC chair at (217) 824-2988 or (217) 820-4457.
Information on upcoming meetings or membership can be attained by contacting Barb Millburg at (217) 823-9001.
Jake Leonard, a broadcast media and journalism veteran, is the editor-in-chief of Heartland Newsfeed. Leonard is also GM and program director of Heartland Newsfeed Radio Network, wrestling editor and contributing writer for Ambush Sports, a contributing writer for My Sports Vote and Midwest Sports Network, and a former contributor to Bleacher Report and Overtime Heroics. He resides at home in Nokomis, Ill. with his dog Buster.
Discussion about this post