NOKOMIS — The Nokomis City Council met in regular session on Monday, Oct. 25.
Scott Hunt, representing WHKS Engineers, Planners & Surveyors located in Springfield, introduced himself and his firm to the council.
Hunt and his firm are interested in helping Nokomis apply for grants. They can also help plan the downtown project and complete the engineering needs.
He spoke specifically about the downtown project as well as the water and wastewater plant.
Hunt also spoke of the America Rescue Plan (ARP). He told the council that the application for this is due January 10. However, the city needed to start working on the grant now.
He stated that cities applying for a grant that included a 50 percent match would be more likely to receive funding than a city requesting a 100 percent grant. Not only will cities receive money from this grant but individual businesses may also apply however they will be required to have matching funds.
Nokomis council discusses business district grant request
The council discussed an email from Scott Robinson asking for a business district grant to remove a building next to his business on Spruce Street and to move the current water meter to the back of his building.
The council was in agreement that this constitutes two separate projects. The cost of removing the building is $4,500.
Commissioner Glenn will talk with Robinson about the details of the project and report back to the council at the next meeting.
Approval of building permit, vehicle purchase
A building permit for a fence at 224 North Pine Street was approved.
Also, approved was the purchase of a used 2000 GMC Van with a new camera for the Waste Water Department at a cost of $28,000.
The current van is a 1992 and keeps breaking down and parts are difficult to find.
The dealer for the van to be purchased will provide the city with a loaner vehicle and camera until the new van can be inspected and the new camera in stock.
Council reports nearly $302k in revenue
The city has received $301,949.40 in revenue. This includes:
Illinois Department of Revenue
- Personal Property Replacement Tax for $7,198,82
- Business District Tax for $10,744.86
- 1% Share of Sales Tax for $16,797.96
- Telecommunication Tax for $2,055.11
- Cannabis Use Tax – Local Share for $333.70
- Video Gaming Tax – Local Share for $3,815.33
- Income Tax – Local Share for $32,198.79
Illinois Department of Transportation
- Local Share of State Use Tax for $6,657.95
- Motor Fuel Tax — September allotment for $3,311.80
- Motor Fuel Tax Fund for $4,488.21
- Gas for $1,714,43
- Ameren Electric for $6,067.23
- Unspecified revenues for $143.421.14
- Unspecified revenues for $64,141.07
Other business before Nokomis council
In other action the council:
- Approved paying bills in the amount of $207,624.96;
- Discussed the license agreement with Montgomery County for placing an antenna on the new water tower with no action taken;
- Discussed a lease with the Fire Department for a training ground with no action taken;
- Approved Hurst-Rosche to update the city map showing the Waste Water Plant in the city limits in order to use Business District Funds for upkeep on streets and sidewalks leading to the plant; and
- Approved opening a savings account requiring two signatures for America Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds.