JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — What was previously a pay-per-view last June will be a two-week television special this year. All Elite Wrestling (AEW) held their inaugural Fyter Fest last June. However, in this special instance, it is described by chairman and CEO Tony Khan as being “too big for one night.”
The show was originally planned for the company’s United Kingdom debut for this month in London. However, the COVID-19 pandemic has wreaked havoc on the sports world, limiting the number of available venues to hold high-profile sporting events as a result.
As a result, Fyter Fest for 2020 will take place over two nights, essentially taking over AEW Dynamite. Currently, there are plans for all four of the company’s titles to be on the line.
Fyter Fest Night 1 card
There was an announcement of several matches on the card on the first night of Fyter Fest, July 1. Depending on events surrounding the pandemic, the card may be subject to change as a result. Currently on the card is the following matches in no particular order:
- AEW Tag Team Championship: Hangman Page/Kenny Omega (c) v. Best Friends (Trent Beretta & Chuck Taylor)
- TNT Championship: Cody Rhodes (c) v. Jake Hager
- AEW Women’s Championship: Hikaru Shida (c) v. Penelope Ford
- Private Party (Isiah Kassidy & Marq Quen) v. Proud & Powerful (Santana & Ortiz)
- Maxwell Jacob Friedman & Wardlow v. Jurassic Express (“Jungle Boy” Jack Perry & Luchasaurus)
Fyter Fest Night 2 card
There was an announcement of several matches on the card on the second and final night of Fyter Fest, July 8. Depending on events surrounding the pandemic, the card may be subject to change as a result. Currently on the card is the following matches in no particular order:
- AEW World Championship: Jon Moxley (c) v. Brian Cage
- Chris Jericho v. Orange Cassidy
- FTR (Cash Wheeler & Dax Harwood & The Young Bucks (Matt and Nick Jackson) v. The Butcher (Andy Williams) and The Blade (Braxton Sutter) and Lucha Brothers (Pentagón Jr. and Rey Fénix)
- Lance Archer v. Joey Janela
- SoCal Uncensored (Scorpio Sky, Kazarian, Christopher Daniels) v. The Dark Order (Brodie Lee & Stu Grayson) and Colt Cabana
- Nyla Rose v. opponent TBD
There is the potential of additional matches on the card. The World Championship match between Moxley and Cage could potentially be scrapped and potentially delayed to a different date. Moreover, this is simply because Moxley has under quarantine as wife Renee Young recently received the COVID-19 diagnosis. As a result, Moxley did not appear on Dynamite this week.
Jake Leonard, a broadcast media and journalism veteran, is the editor-in-chief of Heartland Newsfeed. Leonard is also GM and program director of Heartland Newsfeed Radio Network, wrestling editor and contributing writer for Ambush Sports, a contributing writer for My Sports Vote and Midwest Sports Network, and a former contributor to Bleacher Report and Overtime Heroics. He resides at home in Nokomis, Ill. with his dog Buster.