You are a driven and motivated problem solver ready to pursue meaningful work. You strive to make an impact every day & not only at work, but in your personal life and community too. If that sounds like you, then you’ve landed in the right place.
Senior Small Commercial Underwriter
We’re in the business of helping people achieve amazing things. From opening a small business to buying a car or home to recovering from illness or injury and so much more, we help people protect the things that matter. And you can help us when you join our team of underwriters. They’re at the heart of everything we do. And by joining us, you’ll be on a team known throughout the industry for providing our customers with just the right amount of coverage they need to pursue their unique interests.
Your underwriting career here means collaboration, inclusivity, innovative thinking and so much more. Here, we value entrepreneurial spirits, self-starters and are customer focused. We welcome all ideas and live our authentic selves. And you’ll have any number of opportunities for your career to grow in whatever direction you choose.
The Hartford is seeking a highly skilled Small Commercial Underwriter, who is responsible for the following:
- Underwriting all commercial lines, including Business Owner’s Policy (BOP), Commercial Automobile, and Workers’ Compensation and Umbrella.
- You will accurately develop and price individual risks, analyze loss and risk information, and recognize “red flags” and file inconsistencies in order to write profitable commercial business.
- Underwrite a variety of businesses and effectively apply all applicable Underwriting guidelines when making decisions
- Display thorough knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and governance
- Partner with aligned territory sales rep to achieve profit and growth objectives.
- Develop and maintain relationships with territory aligned agents to deliver the value proposition and drive optimal business results in a highly competitive marketplace.
- Plan and prioritize work activities to achieve desired results within necessary time frames.
We’ll Be a Good Match if You Have:
- A customer-first mindset, putting our customers at the center of everything you do.
- A passion for making decisions through both analyzing the data and employing critical thinking skills.
- A team spirit and desire to work collaboratively.
- A financial mindset to help make the best decisions.
- Ability to own your work and following through on commitments.
- Ability to decipher and execute within a fluid and changing business environment.
- An understanding of how to build relationships and trust among diverse groups.
- The ability to advance their careers into technical OR leadership positions
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- A minimum of 3 years of Commercial Underwriting experience
- Superior technical underwriting knowledge and sound decision-making skills
- Demonstrated success in developing and maintaining solid relationships with all internal and external business partners
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- An ability to think analytically about business problems, make recommendations and propose solutions.
- High energy self-starter, who is resilient and has an entrepreneurial spirit
- Demonstration of solid time, organizational, and desk management skills
- Goal-oriented and delivers outcomes
- Ability to challenge the status quo and compete to win
- Flexibility to travel approximately 10%
The listed annualized base pay range is primarily based on analysis of similar positions in the external market. Actual base pay could vary and may be above or below the listed range based on factors including but not limited to performance, proficiency and demonstration of competencies required for the role. The base pay is just one component of The Hartford’s total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include short-term or annual bonuses, long-term incentives, and on-the-spot recognition. The annualized base pay range for this role is:
$79,120 – $118,680
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age
About Us | Culture & Employee Insights | Diversity, Equity and Inclusion | Benefits
Senior Underwriter – UH08BA