The Principal Medical Writer is responsible for development and management of medical writing deliverables that support the clinical regulatory writing portfolio and is capable of working independently to achieve goals.
Our Clinical and Pharmacovigilance teams manage studies to provide the safety and efficacy data required for regulatory approval of potential new drugs, vaccines and new indications for existing products. We ensure we conduct high quality clinical trials by integrating state-of-the-art technology and applying rigorous scientific and ethical standards.
In this role the Principal Medical Writer:
- Is recognized as a significant scientific contributor and subject matter expert in preparation of regulatory clinical documentation.
- Applies in-depth knowledge of regulatory medical writing and therapeutic area/investigational product to support pipeline projects. Represents functional area in cross-functional team (either internally or externally).
- Produces high-quality and timely documentation in line with expectations. Interprets and applies knowledge of regulatory/compliance/scientific requirements, using own judgment, prior work experience, and broad appreciation of impact on other disciplines.
- Leads and manages medical writing projects including the design, planning, and preparation of clinical documentation in support of clinical development, trials (e.g., pivotal CSRs), and filings (e.g., clinical modules). Works collaboratively with colleagues across functions to achieve results.
- Solves complex problems associated with medical writing scope of work, involving ambiguous situations across departments and the need to develop new options to resolve.
- Oversees the work of other medical writers, providing scientific and operational mentorship and coaching in the design, planning, and execution of their assignments. Provides feedback to their managers on development plans and performance reviews.
- Provides leadership for medical writing processes, standards, and initiatives.
Minimum required education:
- Degree in the Life Sciences.
- Bachelor’s degree with 10+ years; or MS with 8+ years; or PhD with 5+ years of relevant career experience.
Required experience and skills:
- 5-10 years of experience as a medical writer preparing regulated documents in the pharmaceutical and/or biotech industry. Ability to prepare, without supervision, any type of clinical regulatory document (e.g., protocol, CSR, CIB, clinical sections of IMPD and CTD) according to company guidelines and international governmental regulations and to present clinical data objectively in a clear, concise format in keeping with industry guidelines.
- Provide leadership of and management for complex documentation projects and project teams of medical writers.
- Technical expertise in Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, document management systems, and familiarity with SharePoint and concepts of structured content management.
- Excellent oral (including presentation) and written communication, and project management skills. Awareness of pharmaceutical industry needs beyond clinical development.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us-and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers’ Policy – Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
Employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as customer-facing commercial, or research-based roles, will be expected to comply not only with Company policy but also with policies established by such external stakeholders (for example, a requirement to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to access a facility or meet with stakeholders). Please understand that, as permitted by applicable law, if you have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 and an essential function of your job is to call on external stakeholders who require vaccination to enter their premises or engage in face-to-face meetings, then your employment may pose an undue burden to business operations, in which case you may not be offered employment, or your employment could be terminated. Please also note that, where permitted by applicable law, the Company reserves the right to require COVID-19 vaccinations for positions, such as in Global Employee Health, where the Company determines in its discretion that the nature of the role presents an increased risk of disease transmission.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Under New York City, Washington State and California State law, the Company is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the salary range for this job. Final determinations with respect to salary will take into account a number of factors, which may include, but not be limited to the primary work location and the chosen candidate’s relevant skills, experience, and education.
Expected salary range:
Available benefits include bonus eligibility, health care and other insurance benefits (for employee and family), retirement benefits, paid holidays, vacation, and sick days. For Washington State Jobs, a summary of benefits is listed here.
Learn more about your rights, including under California, Colorado and other US State Acts
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Hybrid, Remote Work
Valid Driving License: