United States • Virtual Req #25376
Friday, September 16, 2022
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies UpCurve, Inc. and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Part-Time Editor – General
USA TODAY/ usatoday.com is seeking a part-time editor to assist with daily content and editing needs, both in breaking news and enterprise content.
Candidates should be quickly and accurately edit and fact-check content and must have a history of successful collaboration with reporters to execute a specific content plan.
Candidates should have strong digital and analytics skills and understand when and how to optimize content effectively to regain traction in organic search results. They will understand what types of everyday content resonates with USA TODAY’s audience and be adept at identifying those opportunities.
Possibility of remote location or in offices in either NYC, McLean, Va., or Los Angeles
Job Level: Digital Editor III
Minimum salary for this position: $72,000 = Full-Time Equivalent
- Collaborate with newsroom editors on topic opportunities and ever-changing best practices.
- Leadership or editing experience, guiding and motivating teams that generate, produce or publish content.
- Demonstrate a strong competitive instinct and intellectual curiosity on all content topics.
- Ability to think and act tactically and strategically.
- Proficiency in AP style and grammar.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills.
- A strong willingness to try new things and learn from the results.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in journalism or any other subject or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in professional journalism experience.
- Comfortable with social, SEO and audience planning and understands how to hone policy stories to reach a mainstream audience.
- Experience with NewsDashboard, Conductor Searchlight or other SEO tools is a plus.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how why you are interested in the role and how you would approach this role at USA TODAY.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
The annualized base salary for this role will range between $51,300 and $120,750. Variable compensation is not reflected in these figures and based on the role, may be applicable. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, location, and union representation, if applicable.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.’s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.