The big picture: Axios is a growth-stage company dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We are committed to a diverse newsroom and news industry. We’re investing in the next generation of journalists who are ready to focus their career, whether that be developing expertise in a coverage topic or a new skill. Our goal is to level you up from being a generalist to a specialist.
Why it matters: We will hire two journalists who come from underrepresented backgrounds for one year to work with our teams and deepen their knowledge on a beat or specialized skill.
Journalists will apply and indicate their interest for the fellowship. For reporters, please indicate your interest in beat reporting: technology, health care, business, business deals, or world news. Other journalists can apply to become an editorial audience strategist or create data visuals. You can apply for more than one area in one application. Please indicate your ranked areas of interest. All Fellows will receive:
- A year-long training curriculum from our best-in-the-business reporters and editors on topics including: source development, mastering beat coverage, owning your newsletter (where relevant), and Smart Brevity training.
- Daily hands-on experience writing, reporting, analyzing and producing content for Axios.
- Media training on how to do a TV hit and podcast training from the Axios podcast team.
- Executive sessions with Axios founders on the reality of running a media company in today’s economy.
- Coaching on how to land the next big job with resume, cover letter, LinkedIn and job interview review from the Axios People team
- Support from applicable Axios ERGs, Axions of Color and Quaxios, for LGBTQIA+ staff
- Competitive salary and Axios benefits
While we cannot guarantee a permanent position at the end of the fellowship, our goal is to prepare each fellow for the next step in their career and place them in their next role.
Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills
- Ideally at least three (3) years of experience working for a news organization
- Passion to focus their career on a certain area of growth
Interested journalists should apply by May 31, 2023, for our inaugural program and be ready to start in fall 2023.
- Send us a one page cover letter telling Axios why you want to do this program and how you hope it will help you achieve your career goals.
- Send us your resume.
- Send us a letter of recommendation from someone you’ve worked with.
- Send us any relevant samples of your work, no more than 5.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Company-sponsored access to Ginger coaching and mental health support
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Classpass discount
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.