United States • Virtual Req #27054
Tuesday, March 7, 2023
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies UpCurve, Inc. and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Associate Editor, For The Win
For The Win , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK , is seeking a qualified candidate to serve as Associate Editor.
The ideal candidate should have two to three years of experience writing for a digital outlet, preferably in the sports and/or pop culture space.
They should feel comfortable at the intersection of sports and internet with a deep understanding of SEO, social media and how to execute FTW’s voice across all platforms.
This role is a mix of daily blogging, workshopping story ideas, headlines and content with writers, assisting the staff with search and social optimization and reading/editing posts as needed. While scheduling is flexible, night and weekend shifts will be required. This role will report to FTW’s Assistant Managing Editor.
Remote candidates are welcome.
- Help oversee day-to-day content production with other FTW editors.
- Collaborate with FTW editors on content planning and serving the brand’s editorial mission.
- Assist the Senior Editor in developing a FTW-specific style guide and implementing those standards across all our platforms.
- Be willing to serve as lead editor for at least three weeknight shifts and one weekend shift.
- Assist with other editorial responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2-3 years’ experience writing for a media outlet with proven SEO, social and digital expertise.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule as needed to accommodate our publishing schedule and event coverage as needed.
- Passion for sports and sports culture.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 5-7 work samples. Show us what you’ve written, produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
The annualized base salary for this role will range between $36,281 and $87,328. Variable compensation is not reflected in these figures and based on the role, may be applicable. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, location, and union representation, if applicable.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.’s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.